Tuesday 17 May 2011

Reflection.

I am currently completing my second task for this course and while I am immersed in a sea of information I am feeling reflective. What have I learned? Certainly a lot more than I had anticipated. The role of the teacher librarian seems to endless and I feel that this new path I have chosen is going to pose a number of challenges.

Firstly, being a teacher in the humanities means that I am consistently asking my students to complete research tasks. I have to ask myself if I have given my classes enough direction or do I simply book a computer room and assume that they have acquired the necessary literacy skills to complete tasks? My own research has been difficult, after a 25 year period of not hitting the books, completing an essay has been to say the least daunting. Looking at the models in front of me I can say that my research process has reflected the stages as outlined by (Kuhlthau). Yet I have never used the model in my own teaching, something I will have to rectify...soon. Another area that I need to focus on more in class is that of metacognition. I know how I learn, the last 2 months have taught me that I have a preferred learning style and being able to reflect on this area is asset for my learning. Undoubtedly, it will also benefit my students.

Reading Hay's (1999) article Leadership's challenge: the fuzzy future has me thinking. She states that 'the moves towards outcome based assessment has shifted the focus for students towards exhibit learning in a real-world context', but I ponder, what about the fact that the HSC is still a content driven task? As a teacher of senior classes I know that I put aside learner-centered tasks in order to complete syllabus requirements. Again, I now feel that this is an area I need to address.

After beginning this course I decided that I had to try to improve my ICT skills, at times I feel that I am being left behind. Th literature also tells me that teacher librarians are leaders in this area. Well, I took the challenge and am now completing the Web2 course. I am 2 weeks behind (other priorities) but I know that I will catch up. If I had not begun this course I doubt if I would have had the desire or will to challenge myself and develop my skills.

The area that has been one of the most enlightening has been 'leadership'. Using my own school as a model I believe that this area one of the most essential for the teacher librarian. My own lack of knowledge about literacy instruction and learning models has been in part due to a lack of dissemination of information. The school librarian needs to be an advocate for their role and the role of literacy instruction as a whole school policy. There certainly is a lot more to this role than I expected. Back to my assignment I do hope that I am past the stage of confusion!



No comments:

Post a Comment