Sunday 7 August 2011

ETL501 Information Environment

My first entry!! This course relates to the various information and learning contexts in the school environment. So far I have read about wiki's, wikipedia and criteria for websites. The latter being the focus for our first assignment. What I have so far is practical and information gained can be applied to a class room context. How many times have I told my students that it is OK to look at wikipedia but not trust its contents? It seems that I am not the only one!
Reading about the technical criteria was new for me, being a humanities students I have never really focused on this area but clearly it is an area that I need to develop. Now all I need to do is select two criteria for my assignment, this is going to be more difficult than I first thought because so many are geared to students in higher education.
The most important lesson I have learnt so far is that I do not spent enough time on preparing my senior students to clearly assess the relevance/reliability of a web site. It is never too late to begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment